Powered By Blogger

Sunday 9 December 2012

I am interested in climbing Scottish Munro Mountains and Scottish Place-Names, particularly Gaelic and Norse place-names
   I have, to date, climbed 212  Seperate Munros, including the difficult ones, the 12 Cuillin Munros, including "Am Bidean Do-Ruigsinn", ( The Inaccessible Pinnacle ).Tha Gaidhlig agam. Many of the Place-Names where I now live, in the Glasgow area are in the Old Welsh Language, including Partick, Glasgow and Lanark.
  Anyone who starts climbing the Munros usually gets addicted, and becomes interested in the mountain place-names, I did, and leant Scottish Gaelic and obtained my Gaelic O-Level and Higher.I also became interested in the Norse place-names in the Northwest Highlands and Hebrides, especially having travelled to Norway a great deal.
     At the present time there are 282 Munros which are classified as seperate mountans. Two recently have been deleted, Beinn a' Chlaidheimh and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean, both of which are in Wester-Ross, and, due to resurveys.having  been found to be slightly under 3,000 ft. This caused me a great deal of annoyance as both me and my father had climbed them, and they were my father's last two Munros in 1977.There are now 282 Munros and 508 Munro-Tops,
     How is a seperate Munro classified? This is a very controversial and debatable subject. TACIT Press have classified Murdos and Grahams  according to strict criteria of difference in height between them and adjoining summits, but Munros have not, Sir Hugh Munro decided ,according to his own criteria, which now  nobody knows.By the way, England has six 3,000ft. peaks and Wales Sixteen 3,000 ft. Peaks.

Alan R Macdonald 

No comments:

Post a Comment